Thursday, April 9, 2009

Your Team

I was in rehearsal last night for a band called Nue Noize. They have some really good material that I urge anyone that is into modern jazz to check out. On one of the breaks, I was reflecting on how everyone in the room was a freelance musician and was called together by the bandleader to work with this unit. Several of us have our own bands that we work on as well. It struck me that the people that get things done in any area of endeavor are the ones that can convince others to get behind their vision with the best of their abilities. Whether it be music, business, or even life in general. We all have a circle of people that we call on for what we need. You may have a favorite dry cleaner, tax preparer. Yes these things are paid services. But they are things that we can all relate to. And they make our daily lives easier because they make it so we don't have to do everything ourselvs. There wouldn't be enough time in a day to do everything we need done. You wouldn't sleep much if you did them yourself.

If you are working on building something that is above the ordinary. Give some thought to the people that you have around you and how they contribute to what you are doing. Are they the best people for the function that you need. If not, you might want to consider making a change. Having the right people frees you up to expand the big picture.

I was raised an only child and a loner. I have had a mentality that I can do it all by myself. I now realize that this is foolish and am changing this. I hope anyone else in my boat does the same. It will help you go much farther in what you want to do. i am working on several teams for different things. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment