Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Mentors

I have been on the Mentoring thing for a little bit. I figured I would share some other things that I know to be true in that regard. I will also share some people that either currently or previously have been mentors to me.

My pastor says that everyone needs 3 types of people in their life: those that they look up to (mentors), those they are on the same level with (peers), and those that look up to them (mentees). I firmly believe in this. Even my son who is almost 3 has all three of these in his life. Musicians often neglect the importance of these relationships. 

Mentors are the ones that are doing what you want to do. They share their life experiences and knowledge. Hopefully they give you the tools that you need to stand on their shoulders and do even greater things than they. I have had some people that have really poured into me. Although I haven't always acted on what they told me. My mentors have always given me a wealth of knowledge and encouragement. My first real musical mentor was Robert White. He was the first person to tell me I could make a living playing music. Even at a time when noone else wanted me doing music. I learned a lot going to hear him play. He also helped fill some holes in my knowledge of playing bass. Another mentor that I have had is Cliff Colson. Although I never took lessons from him, I learned a lot going to his gigs and sitting in on occasion. He was also real cool to talk to. Something that in hindsight, is a valuable lesson to anyone that wants to work. You have to be personable and get along with people or your phone won't ring. Unfortunately, I have lost touch with both Rob and Cliff. But I value the things I have learned from them.

Currently, I consider Al Caldwell to be a mentor to me. He is in a place where I aspire to be: a writer, producer, bandleader, as well as a highly accomplished sideman. Even though we have never met, I value his knowledge and skill. He has shared things with me about the business and production, as well as being a bass player. 

I want to encourage everyone, if you haven't already, to seek out a mentor. Actually, several mentors. It doesn't even have to be someone you talk to. I don't encourage stalking, but find someone that you can watch how they go about their business. I have learned a lot from just watching people. I have some guys that I try to catch on a gig occasionally. When I see them play, it inspires me. I think we can all do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment